MUSINGS OF A FAILED ARTISTE...

photo: www.thefailedmusician.com



There was a prompting in my spirit to write this piece, in the wake of the noise wey Vic O don generate most recently.

I heard about Vic O during his much publicised social media tiff with another in his category known as Speed Darlington. While they were notching up Youtube views in the thousands, I couldn't muster beyond 17 views for my 1st ever self produced music video "Guidelinez"!!!

 Some are just discovering Vic O and wondering whether to take him seriously or not. If numbers do not lie, he is pretty much a big deal. He has been described as a rapper/comedian by some section of social media literati. He is currently the self acclaimed KING OF HIP HOP coming off his diss song aimed at both Drake and Meek Mill.

He talked up a strong hype for it, promised that if he got up to 5,000 re-tweets he would drop the bomb! He exceeded that number and did just that.

Was it even a decent song? No. He made no effort to even make it worthwhile, he had the resources at his disposal and chose to do with it what he would.

Without greasing anybody's sweaty palms and being totally oblivious of how songs get aired on Nigerian radio (payola), Vic O's song reached many terrestrial ears via many radio station band frequencies.

We have been laughing ever since while some have been frothing at the mouth at the attention WE are giving Vic O.

The dude has the power of social media and is fed with an unbridled confidence, conviction and enough time on his hands to force feed us with his garbage.

This is where the difference lies.

As a former Soul Train Award hopeful, I was convinced my skills were enough. I put in the hard work in the studios, I concentrated on the perfect lyrics and delivery. I hung with the "right" crowd and just waited for things to fall in place. 

In between, I created limitations for myself. There were certain things I would never do to get that airplay or cop that mega record deal. If there was no money to put fuel in the generator or repair my homie's speakers, it was the fault of some wack MC using spiritual means to block my shine.

How about going out to get a job to feed my passion?

It didn't make sense at the time and the crew didn't think I would be keeping it real if I went that route.

Long tori short, when I wake up from my slumber I begin dey find other ways to develop the other skills dem wey I been possess. Some of de crew dem, don go find regular work bone wetin dem been talk say na do or die bifor!

Na de same people wey dey shout say Vic O dey wack, no get mind to do de kain tinz wey de bros dey do to push him ministry.


Ask dudes what they're doing about their music promotions, there's a story about how wan tin do wan tin wey no gree make wan tin make many tins happen.

Enough of my pidgin rant. Let me sum up nicely with help from my good friend and music producer/dope MC, Double - Six:

"Truth be told, dat nigga Vic.O got more balls than most artistes I know. He's confident in himself and in his 'lyrical' abilities. His new joint dissing Meek & Drake is piling up downloads like crazy !!! Y'all ain't never gonna agree with me, but like I always say - EXECUTION OF A WACK IDEA IS BETTER THAN THE NON EXECUTION OF A BRILLIANT IDEA !!!‪#‎ConfidenceIsKey‬"

Comments

  1. It's funny how the world works, really. Those with talent often feel that's the only drive they need to get to success, and those without hustle harder to push on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OAPs ARE NOT EVEN MUSIC FANS...

SO YOU WANT TO BE ON RADIO? SITES & RESOURCES

THE BEST SELECTION: COVER VERSIONS (S01E10)