MY TRIBUTE TO SLY...



We never met but you were a major reason for my addiction to Classic FM. From your witty Breakfast Show banters with Bukola and Uncle Jimi Disu who referred to you often as Father Sly, your enthusiasm, professionalism and unbridled patriotism were felt.

I jumped and punched the air each time my tweet was read out on radio by Sly!!!

And then of course my Saturday Mornings ... lip-syncing to favourite rap joints while you schooled us on hip-hop history. My wife became addicted too. And then when I heard my sweepers on the show, the head swell no get part 2!


It's amazing how radio can make you feel like you know someone so well. Apart from the fact that the music was familiar, Classic FM gave me personalities I could really relate with, Sly of course was like that older brother who managed to save up to buy vinyls and tapes just so he could help his kid bro understand how music makes one feel.

To say you will be missed is an understatement. I cried. I could not do a thing for a couple of hours but ask God why? So young, vibrant and looked like he had the whole world in front of him.

Listening to the tributes from colleagues no help de mata at all... the tears poured again!

However, I have learnt through your short but memorable life that what you give of yourself to the world is really how they'll remember you. If you're genuine enough even with all your flaws, your best parts will remain in the minds of many. Those whose arms you lifted up in their times of distress will always be grateful for having had you be there for them.



As for the fan, it won't be easy. We're going to be hard on whoever tries to fill your shoes and we ask them to be patient with us. Such was your impact and those shoes of yours really no get another leg size!

I ask the Good Lord to grant us all the fortitude to bear the loss, may the kids grow up to know their daddy touched lives in the best way, May the wife rest in God's assurance that Sly is in a better place.

My eyes are welling up again...

May your Soul, Sly, through the Mercy of God, Rest in Perfect Peace, Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OAPs ARE NOT EVEN MUSIC FANS...

SO YOU WANT TO BE ON RADIO? SITES & RESOURCES

THE BEST SELECTION: COVER VERSIONS (S01E10)